Archive for August, 2010

Bank Holiday Weekend

Just a quick update today. Been out flying as the weather and the wind has finally calmed down to allow such things. I have been out practising the aileron tic-tocs and I’m getting there. I had a good session on the simulator on Saturday and watched a few videos off the internet on how to do it. This helped but I need to work at it.  Still it’s like when I started learning the elevator tic-tocs and they were a bit random but now there much better.

After today’s flying I need to change the main gear on the 250 after a little crash, and the Mini-Titan has a horrible wobble in the head when in Idle-Up. Strange as I haven’t really flown it so I’m not sure where that has come from.


My squadron: T-Rex 550E, MSH Protos, Mini-Titan, T-Rex 250 3G

My squadron: T-Rex 550E, MSH Protos, Mini-Titan, T-Rex 250 3G

btw I  did go to the BMFA nationals at RAF Barkston Heath on Sunday but the weather was awful and there wasn’t much flying.  I saw some bits and pieces, F3C, pylon racing and some aerobatics but not any jets. It was a bit of a shame but at least I tried.

Tired

Went for a fly this evening, but really I should of headed home.  It was nice to get out with some friends and have a fly (and I didn’t crash), however I have had a very busy and chaotic week so far at work and I wasn’t quite as smooth as I could/should of been. It left me feeling a bit disappointed if I’m honest.

Still onward and upward, the weekend is coming and I might head off to the Nationals on Sunday if the weather is kind. Also the super hard TrueBlood head dampers have turned up for the 250. (See the T-Rex 250 Flybarless Conversion page for more info)

Update

I haven’t blogged in a while but work has been mega busy and I have just been grabbing flying time here and there. There is an up date on the T-Rex 250 3G flybarless conversion page. It’s not easy but then I knew it wouldn’t be with such a small heli.

(However it is worth noting, you can virtually take your hands off whilst hovering – see page)

Other notable update is that I have another flying site now. I have joined another flying club that is in my area, thus giving me another place to fly in when the weather is being funny. You always have to have options!

T-Rex 250 goes all 3G..

It’s happened.. T-Rex 250 Flybarless Conversion. Only a matter of time after the 550E findings.. Check it out by following this link or by selecting it from the page directory at the top right.

Tailfin

Doh! Can’t believe I forgot to mention this in my last post but on my 550 I have the same vibration in the tail fin that a lot of people have been having (see here) so I have changed my 550 tail fin with one from the T-Rex 600.

550 tail with 600 fin

550 tail with 600 fin

I also changed the tail supports to the 600 ones as they are stiffer, though you do have to take the horizontal fine off or the tail blades will clip it.

600 tail supports on 550E

600 tail supports on 550E

The current theory is that the 550 fin is quite thin and is resonating to the natural frequency of the heli. As the 600 fine is thicker it should resonate to a different frequency.

Saturday stuff

Quick update in this post.  Starting to get several flights under my belt with the 550 and beginning to love it.  I mean really love it.  Very quick, agile but very stable awesome! I suppose the only problem is that if you get it in a mess then things happen very quickly but hey… Did have an interesting moment where the battery connector started rubbing on the main gear on one flight which pretty much ruined it.  I was very lucky that it didn’t cut through it and cause a power loss and certain crash, just had to change the connectors in the field.

Started having more of a go at the aileron tic-tocs again and I think I know what I have to do now.  Was trying it yesterday and it wasn’t really working but after some advice from a friend at the club I know what I have to.  Note: the difference “what to do”.  So hopefully by repeating it very slowly I will train my brain in to how to do it. I can then speed it up to make it look good.

Getting it working..

So this weekend!  Well it was certainly a 550 mammoth fest. After last weeks successful maiden flight the tail was not working correctly

Weekend Flying with T-Rex 550 and Protos

Weekend Flying with T-Rex 550 and Protos

and it clearly needed some tweaking the wag was just awful.  I thought this would take about 10 minutes to sort but no – 4 hours later and finally it was working.  It would appear with the 3G setup’s you have to be perfect. The swash needs to be bang on level, the tail silky perfectly smooth and the centre of gravity spot on.  Once this was done it flew brilliantly! Thanks must go to one of the guys at the club who helped me loads with this. On Sunday then I had opportunity to fly it for a few hours to get a feel for it and I have to say I love it.   It’s so agile, yet stable and the power is immense.

I will try and get some footage up..